2020 COVID-19 UPDATE
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all sessions of the Edina Coalition for Grief Support are canceled until further notice. We will begin our in-person sessions as soon as it is safe to do so.
In the meantime, we are now hosting our meetings virtually. If you would like to join us, please submit a request form located here.
We are beginning to post some items for your use during this time when we are unable to meet. Videos and Audio talks prepared by some of our volunteers and speakers will be posted periodically. See what’s new by click here.
Writings about grief:
In the meantime, please consider the following advice, authored by our longtime friend and supporter Ted Bowman:
Some Guidelines for Grief Care During the Coronavirus Outbreak
1) Monitor your own health and follow health department guidelines
2) Check-in on some of your family and friends during these days, even some with whom you have not recently connected. Say something like, hello, just sending my care during these days.
3) Practice differing ways of grief care during these days. Consider adding other care practices because so many typical outlets may be unavailable, cancelled, or unwise for health reasons. Consider: music, prayer, pray for others, get outside if your own health permits, take notice of small pleasures (cup of tea or coffee, sun coming through your window, an hour of quiet, complete a small task, comfort food, talk to a friend via phone, write a note, remember with tears and smiles someone who has died.
4) Review recent Edina Grief Coalition sessions: what did someone say in a group that you want to “hang onto” and use today…or something one of the speakers said that was helpful.
5) What advice would you give to another grieving person? In other words, if you were the speaker, what would you say to fellow grievers?
6) Be aware of what is not canceled because of the coronavirus, including:
- Getting Outdoors: NOT CANCELED
- Music: NOT CANCELED
- Family: NOT CANCELED
- Reading: NOT CANCELED
- Singing: NOT CANCELED
- Taxes: NOT CANCELED
- Laughing: NOT CANCELED
- Hope: NOT CANCELED
Let’s Embrace What We Have.
7) Whatever your beliefs are, lean on the best of them these days.
Coping with the death of a loved one can be one of the most difficult challenges we face. Understanding the grief process and sharing with other individuals in a supportive and caring environment can lead to acceptance, personal growth and recovery.
In an effort to help participants move forward with their lives, the Edina Coalition for Grief Support offers a short-term program for adults who are experiencing grief due to the death of a loved one. The focus is on education and group support in a safe and confidential environment. We are a nondenominational group inclusive of all backgrounds.
Professional therapists, former participants and others knowledgeable about grief provide information about the effects of grief and its healthy resolution.
We rely on donations from attendees and our sponsors to fund our services. If you have an interest in donating to our organization please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org