May 23, 2020 COVID-19 UPDATE
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all sessions of the Edina Coalition for Grief Support are cancelled until further notice. We will begin our sessions as soon as it is safe to do so.
If you wish to speak one-on-one with someone, please fill out our CONTACT US FORM and we will have someone contact you as soon as we can.
In the meantime, please consider the following advice, authored by our longtime friend and supporter Ted Bowman:
Some Guidelines for Grief Care During the Coronavirus Outbreak
1) Monitor your own health and follow health department guidelines
2) Check-in on some of your family and friends during these days, even some with whom you have not recently connected. Say something like, hello, just sending my care during these days.
3) Practice differing ways of grief care during these days. Consider adding other care practices because so many typical outlets may be unavailable, cancelled, or unwise for health reasons. Consider: music, prayer, pray for others, get outside if your own health permits, take notice of small pleasures (cup of tea or coffee, sun coming through your window, an hour of quiet, complete a small task, comfort food, talk to a friend via phone, write a note, remember with tears and smiles someone who has died.
4) Review recent Edina Grief Coalition sessions: what did someone say in a group that you want to “hang onto” and use today…or something one of the speakers said that was helpful.
5) What advice would you give to another grieving person? In other words, if you were the speaker, what would you say to fellow grievers?
6) Be aware of what is not canceled because of the coronavirus, including:
Getting Outdoors: NOT CANCELED
Music: NOT CANCELED
Family: NOT CANCELED
Reading: NOT CANCELED
Singing: NOT CANCELED
Taxes: NOT CANCELED
Laughing: NOT CANCELED
Hope: NOT CANCELED
Let’s Embrace What We Have.
7) Whatever your beliefs are, lean on the best of them these days.
Our meetings are held most Thursdays during the year and are led by trained volunteers.
In the event of severe weather, call the hosting church to see if the meeting is cancelled.